How old do I have to be to get tattooed?
At Angry Monkey Tattoo you must be 18 years of age or older. Sorry, no exceptions, not even with parental consent.
How do I book an appointment?
All tattoo appointments need to be booked in person, we do not book appointments online. Please come down to the shop and bring any reference material you have with you and we’ll be glad to help you. A cash deposit is required to secure your appointment.
What do you charge?
Our minimum price is $80, hourly rate is $130/hr.
Do you take walk-ins?
Yes! Every Sunday is Walk-in Sunday, door opens at noon and it is first come, first served. We usually only accept small tattoo ideas on Walk-in Sunday, so don’t be disappointed if we recommend that you book an appointment instead. We want you to be completely happy with your new art and if we feel we need more time to draw your piece we may suggest that you book an appointment instead.
When can I see the artwork being designed for my tattoo?
You will see your finished artwork on the day of your appointment. At that time if there are any minor changes to be made to your design we will make them then.
I found a picture of a tattoo online, can I get the same one?
We would prefer to design a custom tattoo for you. Most artists will not duplicate tattoos that are already on someone else. Besides, why would you want the exact same tattoo as someone else? If you have pictures or ideas from an existing tattoo you have seen you can still bring it into us and we can help design something custom for you based on these ideas. Certain tattoos can obviously be duplicated such as symbols, flags, cartoon characters, sports logos, etc.
Can you fix, touch-up or cover a tattoo I already have?
You’ll have to come by and show us what you have, we consider all cover-ups/fix-ups/touch-ups on a case-by-case basis.
Can I bring my child to the appointment?
No. We understand if your child is with you when stopping in to make an appointment but we do not allow children (including infants) in the shop while you’re getting tattooed. The tattoo shop is an 18+ environment and children cannot be properly supervised during the tattoo procedure.
Can I bring a friend to the appointment?
Yes, however only one person will be allowed with you in the tattoo area. We’re a small shop so please don’t bring an entourage.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We only accept cash, no debit/credit cards.
Do you sell gift certificates?
Yes, we have $50 and $100 gift certificates available.
Is it safe to get a tattoo?
Yes, if done properly by trained professionals in a clean environment. At Angry Monkey we care greatly about your safety and well-being. Our artists are blood-borne pathogens certified and our shop is certified by Alberta Health. All needles and materials used during the tattoo procedure are sterile, single-use and disposable. This said, there is always a chance a tattoo could get infected if proper aftercare isn’t followed, but your artist will go over aftercare with you and provide you with an aftercare sheet to take home.
Does it hurt?
We get asked this a lot. The answer is yes but to varying degrees as everyone experiences pain differently. Some just find it irritating, others describe it as “a cat scratch on a sunburn” and some people even sleep through their tattoos. Certain areas can be more painful than others (ex. ribs, hands, feet, spine). Eating and sleeping well before your appointment and staying hydrated makes for a better tattoo experience.
Can I use numbing cream?
Numbing creams are not recommended as they can change the integrity of your skin. Not only that but numbing creams only last about 30 minutes or so and when the sensation returns the discomfort felt from being tattooed becomes much more painful. We don’t use or recommend them.
Can I consume alcohol before I get tattooed?
No. We recommend avoiding alcohol 24 hours before and after your tattoo since it thins your blood. We wonʼt tattoo anyone who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Can I get tattooed while pregnant or breastfeeding?
No. It is not recommended to get tattooed while pregnant or breastfeeding as your body’s systems are already stressed.
Get a good night’s sleep the day before your tattoo and eat well before your appointment. Drink lots of water the day before and of your tattoo so you stay hydrated. You are welcome to bring water and/or snacks to your appointment. Bottled water is available at the shop for your convenience. Please do not consume alcohol 24hrs before or after getting tattooed as it thins your blood. Coffee and energy drinks should be avoided before your appointment as well since they increase blood pressure, plus you want to be relaxed not jittery.
Please arrive on time, showered and not sunburned. Wear appropriate clothing to be tattooed; this consists of clean, comfortable clothes that allow your artist easy access to the area you’ll be getting tattooed. Please be aware that ink stains on your clothing can occur during the tattoo procedure. For your own added protection against infection (and consideration of your artist being in close proximity to you) please arrive recently bathed/showered without fragrance or lotion applied to the area you’ll be getting tattooed. Sunburns, cuts or damage to the tattoo area will likely require rescheduling your tattoo appointment.
If you’re getting sick, or are sick, please call us ahead of time to reschedule your appointment. Don’t come in to get tattooed when you are sick! Not only is it unfair to expose your artist and other clients to your sickness but it may very well hinder the healing of your new tattoo. If your artist notices you’re sick, they have the right to not tattoo you that day, which could result in you losing your deposit.
We do not accept debit or credit cards so please bring the required amount of cash to your appointment. Your artist will go over aftercare instructions with you and provide you with a printed aftercare sheet to take home, as well as ointment.
- Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo!
- Once you get home: remove your bandage 2-3 hours after getting your tattoo. Do not re-bandage unless instructed to do so by your artist. Wash your tattoo with a mild or unscented liquid soap. Be gentle, do not use a washcloth, sponge, loofah, etc. Only use your hands. Gently pat your tattoo dry with a clean paper towel and allow to air dry for a few minutes before rubbing a small amount of ointment on your tattoo. We like Tattoo Goo but use whichever you’re not allergic to. Always use clean hands and do not place your fingers back into the ointment after touching your tattoo. Gently rub the ointment in and pat off any excess with a clean paper towel, you want a very thin layer, don’t overdo the ointment!
- For the first 3-5 days: Wash, dry and apply ointment 3 times daily.
- On the first night, you may want to wrap your tattoo in saran wrap to prevent sticking to your bedding. Do not use any cloth bandages or gauze as the fibers can get stuck to your new tattoo and hinder the healing process.
- Only wear clean, soft clothing over your tattoo for the first 2 weeks, nothing tight or irritating. For a foot tattoo: go barefoot at home as much as possible. When you must wear shoes, first wrap your clean tattoo in saran wrap, then cover with a clean cotton sock before putting on your shoe. Avoid sandals or flip flops for this period to prevent chafing and damage to the tattoo.
- After 3-5 days your tattoo will begin to peel or flake. This is normal. Do not pick at the tattoo! Begin using a water-based unscented lotion (such as Aveeno) in place of the ointment. Use lotion for a minimum 2 weeks, 1-2 times daily after washing and drying.
Things to avoid while your tattoo is healing
- Don’t soak your tattoo; no baths, swimming, hot tubs, or steam rooms for at least 2 weeks. Showering is fine, just don’t let the water jet hit your tattoo directly or take excessively long showers.
- Don’t expose your tattoo to the sun or tanning beds for at least 2 weeks. No spray tans either. If you work outdoors or must be in the sun make sure your tattoo is covered with soft, clean clothing. After your tattoo heals we recommend sunscreen for the life of your tattoo, SPF30 or higher.
- Don’t wear any jewelry, watches or tight clothing that will rub against your tattoo.
- Don’t let anyone touch your tattoo, unless they wash their hands first (for example to help you apply ointment or lotion to a back tattoo).
- Avoid the gym and excessive sweating while your tattoo is healing. If you must go to the gym do not work out the area you just had tattooed as the extra bending, twisting, stretching, etc. can hinder the healing process.
- Absolutely no picking or scratching your tattoo. It is perfectly normal for your tattoo to itch, this is part of the natural healing process.