Due you have new rules in place regarding Covid-19?
Yes! Please review our Covid-19 Information page.
How old do I have to be to get tattooed?
At Angry Monkey Tattoo you must be 18 years of age or older. Sorry, no exceptions, not even with parental consent.
What do you charge?
Our minimum charge is $80, hourly rate is $150/hr plus 5% GST. Consultations are free.
When can I see the artwork being designed for my tattoo?
You will see your artwork on the day of your appointment. Artists will not provide you with the design prior to your appointment. With proper consultation and research you should be confident that you chose the right person for the job, and will love the design they come up with. If any minor changes need to be made, they will be made on the day of your appointment. If a full redesign is needed then your appointment will be rescheduled.
I found a picture of a tattoo online, can I get the same one?
We will not duplicate a picture of someone else’s tattoo. If you have pictures or ideas from an existing tattoo you have seen you can still bring it in and we can help design something custom for you based on the things you like from those references.
Do you offer free touch-ups?
You get one free touch-up on tattoos originally done by our artists within 6 months of the original sitting. Tattoos exempt from a free touch-up include: hands, feet, fingers, elbows, knees, and anyone who clearly disregarded the aftercare instructions. If you fail to show up for your scheduled touch-up appointment it will cost to re-book.
Can you fix, touch-up or cover-up a tattoo I got some place else?
You’ll have to come by and show us what you have, we consider all cover-ups/fix-ups/touch-ups on a case-by-case basis.
Can I bring my child to the appointment?
No. We do not allow children (including infants) in the shop while you’re getting tattooed, no exceptions! The tattoo shop is an 18+ environment, it is not appropriate for children and they cannot be properly supervised during the tattoo procedure.
Can I bring a friend to the appointment?
No. In order to limit the amount of people in the shop and to adhere to social distancing we no longer allow friends or family to accompany you at the shop.
What happens if I’m late for my appointment?
Please message or call us if you’re running late. You will be given a 15min grace period, if we don’t hear from you by 15min past your appointment start time your deposit will be forfeited and you will be considered a no-show.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We only accept cash or e-transfer, no debit/credit cards.
Do you sell gift certificates?
Yes, gift certificates are available in any amount.
Is it safe to get a tattoo?
Yes, if done properly by trained professionals in a clean environment. At Angry Monkey Tattoo we care greatly about your safety and well-being. Our artists are blood-borne pathogens certified and our shop is approved and regularly inspected by Alberta Health. All needles and materials used during the tattoo procedure are sterile, single-use and disposable. This said, there is always a chance a tattoo could get infected if proper aftercare isn’t followed, but your artist will go over aftercare with you and provide you with an aftercare sheet to take home.
Does it hurt?
We get asked this a lot. The answer is yes but to varying degrees as everyone experiences pain differently. Some just find it irritating, others describe it as “a cat scratch on a sunburn” and some people even sleep through their tattoos. Certain areas can be more painful than others (ex. ribs, hands, feet, spine). Eating and sleeping well before your appointment and staying hydrated makes for a better tattoo experience.
Can I use numbing cream?
Numbing creams are not recommended as they can change the integrity of your skin. They also tend to only last for a short duration, after which the discomfort felt from being tattooed becomes much more intense as you haven’t built up the usual adrenaline. We don’t use or recommend them.
Can I consume alcohol before I get tattooed?
No. We recommend avoiding alcohol 24 hours before and after your tattoo since it thins your blood. We wonʼt tattoo anyone who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Can I get tattooed while pregnant or breastfeeding?
No. It is not recommended to get tattooed while pregnant or breastfeeding as your body’s systems are already stressed.
Get a good night’s sleep the day before your tattoo and eat well before your appointment. Drink lots of water the day before and of your tattoo so you stay hydrated. You are welcome to bring bottled water. Do not consume alcohol 24hrs before or after getting tattooed as it thins your blood. Coffee and energy drinks should be avoided before your appointment as well since they temporarily increase blood pressure, plus you want to be relaxed and able to sit still for your tattoo.
Please arrive on time, showered and not sunburned. Wear appropriate clothing to be tattooed; this consists of clean, comfortable clothes that allow your artist easy access to the area you’ll be getting tattooed. Be aware that ink stains on your clothing can occur during the tattoo procedure, so don’t wear your favourite clothes. For your own added protection against infection (and consideration of your artist being in close proximity to you) please arrive recently bathed/showered without fragrance or lotion applied to the area you’ll be getting tattooed. Sunburns, cuts or damage to the tattoo area will likely require rescheduling your tattoo appointment.
If you are getting sick, or are sick, please call us ahead of time to reschedule your appointment. Don’t come in to get tattooed when you are sick! If you show up sick, or showing symptoms, you will be asked to leave immediately and your deposit will be forfeited.
We do not accept debit or credit cards so please bring the required amount of cash to your appointment, or be able to send an e-transfer at the end of your appointment. Your artist will go over aftercare instructions with you and provide you with a printed aftercare sheet to take home, as well as aftercare ointment.
- Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo!
- Once you get home: remove your bandage 2-3 hours after getting your tattoo. Do not re-bandage unless instructed to do so by your artist. Wash your tattoo with a mild or unscented liquid soap. Be gentle, do not use a washcloth, sponge, loofah, etc. Only use your hands. Gently pat your tattoo dry with a clean paper towel and allow to air dry for a few minutes before rubbing a small amount of ointment on your tattoo. We like Tattoo Goo but use whichever you’re not allergic to. Always use clean hands and do not place your fingers back into the ointment after touching your tattoo. Gently rub the ointment in and pat off any excess with a clean paper towel, you want a very thin layer, don’t overdo the ointment!
- For the first 3-5 days: Wash, dry and apply ointment 3 times daily.
- On the first night, you may want to wrap your tattoo in saran wrap to prevent sticking to your bedding. Do not use any cloth bandages or gauze as the fibers can get stuck to your new tattoo and hinder the healing process.
- Only wear clean, soft clothing over your tattoo for the first 2 weeks, nothing tight or irritating. For a foot tattoo: go barefoot at home as much as possible. When you must wear shoes, first wrap your clean tattoo in saran wrap, then cover with a clean cotton sock before putting on your shoe (don’t wear any piece of saran wrap for more than 6-8hrs). Avoid sandals or flip flops for this period to prevent chafing and damage to the tattoo.
- After 3-7 days your tattoo will begin to peel or flake. This is normal. Do not pick at the tattoo! Begin using a water-based unscented lotion (such as Aveeno) in place of the ointment. Use lotion for a minimum 2 weeks, 1-2 times daily after washing and drying.
Things to avoid while your tattoo is healing
- Don’t soak your tattoo; no baths, swimming, hot tubs, or steam rooms for at least 2 weeks. Showering is fine, just don’t let the water jet hit your tattoo directly or take excessively long showers.
- Don’t expose your tattoo to the sun or tanning beds for at least 2 weeks. No spray tans either. If you work outdoors or must be in the sun make sure your tattoo is covered with soft, clean clothing. After your tattoo heals we recommend sunscreen for the life of your tattoo, SPF30 or higher.
- Don’t wear any jewelry, watches or tight clothing that will rub against your tattoo.
- Don’t let anyone touch your tattoo, unless they wash their hands first (for example to help you apply ointment or lotion to a back tattoo).
- Avoid the gym and excessive sweating while your tattoo is healing. If you must go to the gym do not work out the area you just had tattooed as the extra bending, twisting, stretching, etc. can hinder the healing process and the gym equipment can spread infection.
- Absolutely no picking or scratching your tattoo. It is perfectly normal for your tattoo to itch, this is part of the natural healing process.