- Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo!
- Once you get home: if plastic wrap was used then remove it 2-3 hours after getting your tattoo. Do not re-wrap the tattoo unless instructed to do so by your artist. If a second skin type bandage patch was applied leave it on for up to 3 days, as long as it’s not leaking. If it leaks before the 3 days is up remove it. The easiest way to remove the second skin bandage is in the shower, let some warm water run over it then slowly peel it off from the top down. Gently wash your tattoo with a mild or unscented liquid soap. Do not use a washcloth, sponge, loofah, etc. Only use clean hands. Allow to air dry for 5-10min before gently rubbing a small amount of ointment on your tattoo. We like Tattoo Goo and provide individual packets of it following a tattoo. Always use clean hands and do not place your fingers back into the ointment after touching your tattoo. Gently rub the ointment in and pat off any excess with a clean paper towel, you want a very thin layer, don’t overdo the ointment!
- After removal of your bandage: Wash, dry and apply ointment to the tattoo 2-3 times daily.
- If a second skin bandage wasn’t used: On the first night, you may want to wrap your tattoo with a clean sheet of plastic wrap to prevent sticking to your bedding. Do not use any cloth bandages or gauze as the fibres can get stuck to your new tattoo and hinder the healing process. For a foot tattoo without second skin: go barefoot at home as much as possible so the tattoo can breathe. When you must wear shoes, first wrap your clean tattoo in plastic wrap, then cover with a clean cotton sock before putting on your shoe (don’t wear any piece of saran wrap for more than 6-8hrs). Avoid sandals or flip flops for this period to prevent chafing and damage to the tattoo.
- Only wear clean, soft clothing over your tattoo for the first 2 weeks, nothing tight or irritating.
- After 3-7 days your tattoo will usually begin to peel or flake. This is normal. Do not pick at the tattoo! Begin using a water-based unscented lotion (such as Aveeno) in place of the ointment. Use lotion for a minimum 2 weeks, 1-2 times daily after washing and drying.
Things to avoid while your tattoo is healing
- Don’t soak your tattoo; no baths, swimming, hot tubs, or steam rooms for at least 2 weeks. Showering is fine, just don’t let the water jet hit your tattoo directly or take excessively long showers.
- Don’t expose your tattoo to the sun or tanning beds for at least 2 weeks. No spray tans either. If you work outdoors or must be in the sun make sure your tattoo is covered with soft, clean clothing. After your tattoo heals we recommend sunscreen for the life of your tattoo, SPF30 or higher.
- Don’t wear any jewellery, watches or tight clothing that will rub against your tattoo.
- Don’t let anyone touch your tattoo, unless they wash their hands first (for example to help you apply ointment or lotion to a back tattoo).
- Avoid the gym and excessive sweating while your tattoo is healing. If you must go to the gym do not work out the area you just had tattooed as the extra bending, twisting, stretching, etc. can hinder the healing process and the gym equipment could possibly spread infection.
- Absolutely no picking or scratching your tattoo. It is perfectly normal for your tattoo to itch, this is part of the natural healing process.